What Is Pediatric Pelvic Health Physiotherapy?
Updated: Mar 7, 2020
Generally speaking, people tend to associate the term Pelvic Health Physiotherapy with Women’s Health and dismiss the idea that children may also have issues related to their pelvic floor muscles.
Pediatric Pelvic Physiotherapy is a non-invasive treatment that can help educate children and their parents about pelvic floor dysfunction that may cause constipation, incontinence and other conditions associated with pelvic health.
Read on to learn more about the benefits of this treatment.
Who Can Benefit from Pediatric Pelvic Health?
Our trained Pediatric Pelvic Physiotherapists at Blueberry Therapy can help educate and treat children who present with:
· Nighttime Bedwetting
· Daytime Wetting
· Stress Incontinence
· Overactive Bladder
· Urinary frequency/urgency
· Bowel frequency/urgency
· Fecal Leakage
What To Expect At A Pediatric Pelvic Health Appointment
Once initial symptoms or diagnosis has been determined, our Physiotherapists work with children and their parents to develop a plan to overcome the issues. Education about the pelvic floor muscles and how the bowels and bladder function, and expectations of therapy, are all laid out to help formulate the best treatment option for the child.
The Initial Assessment includes:
· Thorough medical history and understanding the current problem
· Gross motor, hypermobility and posture assessment
· Full diet & fluid assessment
· Non-invasive biofeedback training
· External perineal exam
The Treatment Plan may include
· Educational tools and Take-Home advice
· Exercises to assist in increasing pelvic floor and core muscle functioning
· Bowel and Bladder Logs
· Use of Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS) externally to increase rectal activity
· Use of balloon biofeedback
· Use of Electric Muscle Stimulation (EMS) to increase pelvic floor activity
There are many other Health Care Practitioners at Blueberry Therapy that can be used in conjunction with Pelvic Health Physiotherapy to further assist in developing a customized program to suit the child. These include:
· Registered Pediatric Dietitians
· Registered Pediatric Massage Therapists
· Registered Psychotherapists
Help your child overcome the embarrassment and fear of their condition and contact Blueberry Therapy for an assessment today.